- Assistant Professor of Sociology, McGill University
- Postdoctoral Scholar, Stanford University, Departments of Computer Science, Education, and Linguistics
- PhD Sociology, University of Chicago
- MPP, Harris School of Public Policy, University of Chicago
- BA in Mathematics, Reed College
Social networks, status, culture, computational methods, mathematical models, statistical methods
- McMahan, Peter, Adam Slez, and John Levi Martin (2019). “Local Network Regressions” Socius 5.
- McMahan, Peter and James Evans (2018). “Ambiguity and Engagement” American Journal of Sociology 124(2): 860—912.
- McMahan, Peter (2016). “Like Family: Network Coevolution and the Emergence of Altruism” Journal of Mathematical Sociology 40(2): 112:122.
- Small, Mario Luis, Vontrese Deeds Pamphile, and Peter McMahan (2015). “How Stable Is the Core Discussion Network?” Social Networks 40 (January): 90–102.
- Padgett, John F, Peter McMahan, and Xing Zhong. 2012. “Economic Production as Chemistry II.” In The Emergence of Organizations and Markets, edited by John F Padgett and Woody Powell. Princeton University Press.
- McMahan, Peter (2008). “Cohesive Blocks Algorithm”, ‘igraph’ package for R statistical environment.
- Networks and Social Structures, McGill University
- Sociology of Science, McGill University
- Quantitative Methods 2, McGill University
- Sociological Perspectives, McGill University
- Computing for Social Sciences, University of Chicago
Academic Appointments and Honors
- Benjamin Bloom Fellowship, University of Chicago, Division of Social Sciences
- Associate Editor, American Journal of Sociology
- Manuscript Board, American Journal of Sociology
- Academic Fellowship, University of Chicago, Division of Social Sciences
- Academic Fellowship, University of Chicago, Harris School of Public Policy Studies
Workshops and Conferences
American Sociological Association annual conference
- Adolescent Status Hierarchies
- 2015, Chicago, IL
- Ambiguity and Knowledge Fragmentation
- 2012, Denver, CO